Values Tax Values Tax

Tax Tip

Valuestax Taxpayer Login
Refer Your Friends

Tax Rules for Children Who Have Investment Income

Some children receive investment income and are required to file a federal tax return. If a child cannot file his or her own tax return for any reason, such as age, the childs parent or guardian is responsible for filing a return on the child s behalf.

There are special tax rules that affect how parents report a child s investment income. Some parents can include their child s investment income on their tax return. Other children may have to file their own tax return.

Here are four facts from the IRS about the taxability of your child s investment income.

1. Investment income normally includes interest, dividends, capital gains and other unearned income, such as from a trust.

2. Special rules apply if your childs total investment income is more than $1,900. The parent s tax rate may apply to part of that income instead of the childs tax rate.

3. If your childs total interest and dividend income is less than $9,500, you may be able to include the income on your tax return. See Form 8814, Parents Election to Report Childs Interest and Dividends. If you make this choice, the child does not file a return.

4. Your child must file their own tax return if they received investment income of $9,500 or more. File Form 8615, Tax for Certain Children Who Have Investment Income of More Than $1,900, with the child s federal tax return.